Sources of support for families

by | Jul 3, 2017 | Carers, Dementia, News, Support

People affected by dementia do not need to be alone. Whether you have a dementia diagnosis, or care for someone who has one, there are local services that can support you practically and emotionally.

Your GP should be able to organise an assessment of the person with dementia and their family’s needs. Everyone is entitled to this. Depending where you live, it might be called a ‘community care assessment’, ‘care assessment’ or a ‘needs assessment’.

To arrange one yourself, contact your local council, authority or Health and Social Services Trust. If you live in England, call your local authority and ask to be put through to the social services office. If you live in Scotland, call your local council and ask for the social work department. If you live in Northern Ireland, contact your local Health and Social Services Trust.

Following the assessment, your local council will let you know what services it has to meet your needs and whether they will charge you for accessing them or not.

What support is there? Find out more from Dementia UK